- 2 med Turnips
- 2 sm Carrots
- 2 tbsp Peanut oil
- 4 Green onions
- 2 c Chicken stock
- 3 Fresh asparagus spears
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1/2 c Button mushrooms
- 1 pinch Sugar
- 1/2 c Peeled straw mushrooms
- 8 Baby Sweet corn
- 1 tbsp Chicken fat
- 8 Water chestnuts
- 1/2 c Crab Meat or shelled Shrimp (opt)
- 1/2 tsp Fresh ginger root
- 1 tb Tientsin preserved
- Cornstarch Paste
- Peel turnips & carrots.
- Use melon scoop to cut turnips into large balls.
- Slice carrots 1/2″ thick; then with paring knife, cut 4 evenly spaced
notches into rim of each slice (don’t cut into center core).
- Carrots should look like little flowers.
- Parboil turnip & carrots in stock until barely tender.
- Remove from stock & plunge pieces into cold water; drain.
- Cut onions, asparagus & baby corn into 1 1/2″ pieces.
- Mince together fresh ginger root & Tientsin preserved Vegetable.
- In a small pan or beaker on med heat, render pieces of chicken fat.
- Stir-frying: Add peanut oil to Hot wok. When it begins to smoke, briskly fry crab Meat
or shrimp for 1 minute.
- Add asparagus, baby corn, mushrooms & water chestnuts, stir-frying until they are Hot.
- Add ginger mixture, then onions. Stir-fry another 30 seconds.
- Add 1/2 stock, salt & Sugar; bring to boil.
- Add turnips & carrots.
- Cover & reduce heat; simmer for 5 minutes.
- Uncover, push ingredients out of liquid, & dribble in cornstarch paste to thicken slightly.
- Stir liquid to prevent lumping while it thickens to a thick Soup.
- Recombine, then mix in chicken oil. Place on serving platter.