- 1 cup shortening
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 tbsp almond extract
- 2-1/4 cups flour
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup blanched almond halves
- 1 egg beaten
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- In a large bowl with electric mixer, cream together the shortening and sugar, then beat in the eggs, one at a time, and mix well.
- Add the almond extract.
- In another bowl, sift together the flour, baking soda, and salt.
- With a wooden spoon, gradually stir the flour mixture into the shortening. The dough should be fairly firm.
- Divide the dough in half and roll each into a log, about 1-1/2 inch in diameter.
- Wrap in waxed paper and refrigerate for 4 hours.
- Cut the dough crosswise into 1/4 inch thick slices.
- Place cookies on an ungreased cookie sheet.
- Top each cookie with an almond half.
- Brush cookies lightly with beaten egg.
- Bake for about 10 minutes, or until light golden brown.