- 2 lbs Chicken
- 2 c Warm water
- 3 tbsp Sesame oil
- 1 tsp Sugar
- 6 Slices ginger root
- 1/2 c Button mushrooms, canned
- 1/2 c Medium sherry
- 8 Fresh asparagus spears
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- Wash chicken, remove fat pockets, pat dry, and chop into bite-size
pieces. NOTE: if tempted to use breast Meat without bones, please
don’t; bones add to body and flavor of Soup.
- Peel and slice ginger root.
- Wash and cut asparagus into 2″ sections.
- Braising: Heat wok to medium Hot.
- Add sesame oil. Start braising chicken a few pieces at a time when oil begins to smell. Sesame oil will burn at lower temperature than other cooking oils, so avoid Hot wok.
- After browning lightly, return chicken pieces to wok; add ginger slices, sherry and salt.
- When sherry boils, add water and Sugar.
- Turn up heat, bring to boil, then reduce heat to simmer, cover and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Add mushrooms and asparagus, simmer for another 15 minutes.
- Transfer to covered Soup tureen (or put plate on top of Soup bowl), place in
steamer on low, and hold until ready to serve.
- You can make this Soup in large Sauce pan, if wok is needed for something else.