- 1 lb Pork butt, ground or chopped
- 2 tbsp Water
- 1/4 c Water chestnuts, minced
- 3 c Chinese mustard cabbage,Shredded
- 1 tsp Ginger root, minced
- 2 Green onions, minced
- 4 c Stock (or water)
- 1/2 c Cooked Rice, minced
- 1/2 tsp Salt, to taste
- 1 tbsp Dark soy
- 1/4 tsp Sugar
- 1/2 tsp Sesame oil
- 6 tbsp Peanut oil
- In a mixing bowl, thoroughly mix Pork, water chestnuts, ginger root, green onions, cooked Rice, dark soy, sesame oil & water.
- Allow mixture to blend for 30 minutes.
- Form into firm balls, one for each serving, each the size of a tennis ball (about 3 1/2″ across).
- Braising: Heat wok or skillet to Hot; add oil.
- When oil begins to smoke, introduce meatballs 1 at a time, so as not to cool oil.
- Fry meatballs until a brown crust has formed. They must be well crusted in order to retain their shape while stewing.
- Cooking in Sandy Pot: Line sandy pot with shredded Chinese mustard cabbage; sprinkle with pan oil from meatballs, salt & Sugar.
- Add meatballs, then add cool or cold stock.
- Bring slowly to boil; cover; reduce heat to medium & simmer for about 2 hours.
- Correct seasoning if necessary.